According to the 'The Calcutta Gazettee', Khulna was declared as municipality on September 8, 1884 by the then Governor, (name) and on 13th December, Reverend Gagon Chandra Dutta took responsibility as its first chairman. The then municipality had a fifteen-member board comprising of ten elected members, four ex-officio and another nominated one. According to the "Municipality Administration Ordinance', the name of municipality board was changed to municipality committee and extended the municipality area to 14.30 sq miles from 4.64 sq miles. At that time, there were 28 members in municipal committee and the municipal area was divided into 14 wards. After independence, last evolution was took place under Bangladesh Local Council and Municipal Committee (desolation and administration arrangement) order -1972 and Khulna Municipality was renamed as Khulna Pourashabha. And finally, Khulna Pourshava was declared Khulna City Corporation by the then President Lt. General Hussein Muhammad Ershad on December 12, 1984.